Saturday, October 5, 2013

20. Can Other People Influence Your Behavior?


In the previous post, I discussed how we, unwittingly, allow other people to mold our moods, shape our emotions and control our feelings. As I have suggested already, we can resolve not to allow our moods or emotions to be manipulated by others.

The point I like to discuss in the post can be considered a corollary or extension of the same principle of not allowing others to control our emotions.

You are an honest person. If you were to deal with a dishonest person, what will be your approach? Will you stick to your honesty or choose to be dishonest in order to confront the other person effectively? If you follow the latter path, it means that you are allowing your behavior to be influenced by the other person. You may think that it is not wrong to be a little cunning while dealing with dishonest people.

If we accept this line of thinking, then we will have to lose our identity. Don't be carried away by sayings like 'A thorn can be removed only by another thorn.' This may be applicable to tools but not to human beings. If I am going to change my nature or my behavior to match the traits of the other person, then I will be left with no life of my own.

So, never allow other people to influence your behavior by adapting your behaviour to be in tune with their behaviour and thus unconsciously surrendering your individuality to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment